Sunday, June 8, 2008

Divisions and sectarian hatreds among Baha'is

Some people might be interested in Sen's comments on one of my posts: Freedom from sectarian attitudes and practices.

I'm not responding here to anything he said in particular. I just want to summarize some responses to divisions and sectarian hatreds, that I want to practice and promote.

1. Spending time with people whose interests and ideas seem contrary to mine, doing things that interest them, learning from them and finding ways to serve some of their most beneficial interests.
2. Immersing myself in other cultures, in companionship with people from those cultures.
3. Online resources for people who are practicing and promoting better conduct on the Internet (My "Deeds, Not Words" Web pages).
4. The growth plans being promoted by the House of Justice, especially the inclusion of non-members in our core activities.
5. Walking and working with abused and marginalized people.
6. Fellowship as the supreme goal and the monarch of aspirations, and the only thing that can satisfy Baha'u'llah.
7. Healthy responses to attacks on the Faith in Internet discussions, and to defects in the Baha'i community and its institutions.
8. I've posted some other ideas on one of my "Deeds, Not Words" pages: Promoting freedom from sectarian attitudes and practices.

2 comments:

RBurns said...

Hi Jim

This seems like a wonderful way to react to problems, one can certainly detect the teachings shown in the life of Abdu'l-Baha here.

Cheers, Randy

Jim Habegger said...

Thank you, Randy!