Thursday, October 16, 2008

Learning and the evolution of the Baha'i Community

I just read Alison's article "Learning the Lingo," written after she read the paper "Learning and the Evolution of the Bahá'í Community." I decided to read the paper, and post some of my ideas and experiences on the topic.

First, some highlights of my own experiences with the development of the current growth plans.

1. Followup agonies after "mass teaching" campaigns in the seventies.

2. Ruhi courses.

3. Evolution of teaching institutes.

4. Back in the USA.

5. Core activities.

6. Clusters.

----

1. Followup agonies after "mass teaching" campaigns.

First in Florida, then in Martinique, I participated in some of those campaigns, and in followup efforts. I heard that in the US it all started somewhere in North or South Carolina, when some people who had been attending some firesides started joining by the dozens. Then it started happening in some other places. By the time I got involved we were walking around talking to people in small town streets, talking about the oneness of God, of mankind, and of the religions. If they said they agreed with us, we told them they were Baha'is and we signed them up. Later I found out some people thought they were signing up for magazine subscriptions.

I heard that in Martinique, people were invited to meetings, and they were signed up as they came in the door.

I remember going all over Martinique trying to find people on the list. It was popular when we did find them, just to socialize and not talk to them about the Baha'i community, its goals and plans, or its administration, because that might scare them away. I remember every Ridvan frantically trying to find just one person in each locality who would agree to vote for the local spiritual assembly. Most of all I remember the perpetual agonizing anxiety and guilt. Consolidate, consolidate, but never let up on teaching.

2. Ruhi courses.

One of the board members had brought some Ruhi courses from Columbia in Spanish and English. There weren't any available yet in French. A few of us started studying them together. Then he left, and that fizzled out. Later, when they were available in French, I started using them with some of my neighbors. Another board member started organizing training institutes in Martinique using Ruhi courses.

3. Evolution of teaching institutes.

I remember reading some messages from the International Teaching Center about teaching/training institutes, and not equating them with buildings and centralized courses. I remember them calling for interested Baha'is to form small "core groups" to work together to develop training programs. I met a few times with the only two other Baha'is in Martinique who said they were interested, but all they wanted to do was socialize, and it fizzled out.

4. Back in the USA.

After we moved back to the US, my daughter tried to organize some Ruhi courses, but there was no interest. Later, after the clusters were formed, my son and I organized the reflection meetings in our cluster for a year or two, until they became popular.

5. Core activities.

I loved everything about the new plans for core activities and cluster development. I saw in them all of my dreams for the Faith coming to life.

I tried a few times to invite some neighbors for weekly devotions, but no one ever came. Finally one day I decided I was going to find someone to come and say prayers with me, even if I had to talk to 1000 people. I started with some neighbors I barely knew two houses away from ours. They invited me to come in and say prayers with them right then. Would you believe, I had to think about it! It wasn't part of my plan.

I came to my senses and went in. They invited me to come any time, so I went once a week to say prayers with them, and we became good friends. Later, one of them wanted to work with me on activities with children in the neighborhood, and we started working on that, and studying Ruhi courses together.

6. Clusters.

Before the clusters were formed, spiritual assemblies were asked by our Regional Council to make recommendations, based on a number of considerations. I remember discussing it at our meetings.

No comments: