Saturday, May 23, 2015

Response to being maligned in a forum

In responses to my posts on a game forum, where I'm trying to help people who have been wrongly banned and whose appeals have been persistently denied, I've seen some personal attacks against me. Normally my only response is to report them, without responding to them or mentioning them at all in my posts. I did respond though, to a personal attack coming from one of the forum members who have a stamp of credibility from the game company.

----

I want to respond to two public allegations against me by --------:

1. Insinuating that I'm foolish enough to believe every person who claims that they weren't botting or otherwise violating the ToS.

I don't believe every person who claims that they weren't botting or otherwise violating the ToS. I'm well aware that most of the people protesting against their bans were actually botting.

2. Saying that I don't listen.

I'm not sure I know why she's saying that. I see her repeating some things that I've responded to, so maybe she hasn't seen my responses. I'll repeat them here.

- I'm well aware that most of the people protesting against their bans were actually botting or otherwise violating the ToS.

- I'm well aware that -------- see my wife's situation as entirely different from the situation of anyone, guilty or innocent, who was banned in the recent banwave.

- I haven't said this before in so many words, but I'm well aware that a lot of people, including --------, keep insisting that my wife is the only person in the world who has been falsely accused, and whose appeal has been persistently denied, or else that the number of people who have been treated that way is very small.

The number might be very small, but it is certainly not zero, and even if it were, that would still be irrelevant for what I've been trying to do. For discussion purposes let's presume it's only one other person besides my wife. Let's presume:
- that there's only one other person in the world besides my wife who has been falsely accused, whose appeal has been persistently denied, and who has been told explicitly by Customer Support that they will not discuss it with her.
- that the allegation against her was entirely different from the allegation against my wife.
That's the person I've been trying to help, with my posts in the forum, and with my blog post.

The specific allegation against that person, and circumstances that triggered it, might very well be different from the allegation against my wife, and the circumstances that triggered it. That's entirely irrelevant to what I'm trying to do. The problem for her, and for them, is *not* the auto-ban, or how it was triggered. The problem that my wife, and that one other person in the world, have in common, is the impenetrable wall of auto-responses completely ignoring everything they say. Those responses to my wife, and to that one other person in the world, have been identical, word for word, apart from cutting and pasting the specific allegation in the appropriate places.

No comments: