Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Update for some imaginary friends

Photo credit: Jim Habegger
via blogger.com
First I'll list and discuss some efforts and experiences as they come to mind. Then I'll search for some lists that I've made before, and write about those later. I might also write about some of my visions, goals, strategies, lines of action, and possible fruits and signs of progress.

* List of some recent and current efforts.
1. To learn to nurture the spirit of faith and the love of God, in myself and in others.
2. To practice and promote loving devotion to the interests of the Universal House of Justice.
3. Three weeks of intensive efforts to meet people and make new friends, with a break from Internet discussions.
4. To practice and promote richer and more personal communications when we're tempted to use impoverished substitutes in their place, like posting on Twitter and Facebook.
5. To learn to be a better person, a better friend and a better neighbor, especially to some of the people I see being stigmatized and marginalized the most.
6. To learn what to do on the Internet to help open people's hearts more to God, and attract them to His Kingdom.
7. To learn to project the kinds of personal and community development that the House of Justice is promoting, into Internet neighborhoods.
8. To practice and promote better conduct on the Internet.
9. To learn to never depreciate anyone, and to free myself from all ill will.
10. To practice and promote freedom from prejudice.
11. To practice and promote fellowship across religious and other ideological divides.
12. To learn, practice and promote what all of us can do for the most ravaged people all over the world.
13. To learn to encourage and support my friends, near and far, in the kinds of personal and community development that the House of Justice is promoting.
14. To help Patty with her English teaching.
15. To learn Chinese.
16. To use and  promote freely shareable and modifiable software and artistic creations.

* List of some recent experiences.
1. At the English corner.
2. At the Library.
3. In our neighborhood: basketball, diabolo, origami, tai chi, outing for retired people, water bucket, exploring, neighborhood center.
4. On the street with my map.
5. Memorizing scripture passages
6. Reading "Heroes of the Dawn."
7. Communing with nature.
8. Practicing healthy uses of anger.
9. Reading and posting in atheist forums and blogs.
10. Reading and posting in blogs of people who might want to be candles for God.
11. Reading and posting in some other blogs.
12. Practicing writing Chinese.
13. Taking photos for a blog series on the lions of Guilin.

4 comments:

Imaginary Friend said...

I'd like some examples of how you practice all that, and what you do to learn new ways of doing things, but even more how you promote all that. I've been doing a lot of practicing and learning, but I'm not seeing any fruits of my efforts to promote what I'm practicing and learning.

Imaginary Friend #2 said...

I've been practicing fellowship across ideological divides too, and I've been wondering what divide to cross next. I'm thinking of trying to practice fellowship with people who promote growth economics.

Imaginary Friend #3 said...

Thinking about how we might encourage and support each other, I thought of stories. We might tell each other stories about our efforts, what followed from them, and what we've learned from them. That's more a way of learning from each other, but it can provide some encouragement and support also.

Like the first Imaginary Friend, I'm interested in learning better ways to promote what we're practicing and learning. I might do some reading and pondering about that. One thought that comes to mind is searching for organized efforts that might already exist, and collaborating with those if we find any. There might be different groups of people working on different parts of what we're practicing and learning.

Jim Habegger said...

IF#3, in relation to searching for organized efforts, one thought that comes to mind is the institute training. I see some possibilities to promote some of what we're practicing and learning, in the study circles.