Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Your Place or Mine?

photo credit: Jim Habegger
via Blogger
Thinking about the issues RVCBard raised in a post about diversity in theater, gave me some new ideas for my own initiatives.

The first thought that came to me was to turn the question around, from "What can I do to help increase the participation of Those People in what I'm doing?" to "How can I increase and improve my participation in what Those People are doing?" That would include, but not be limited to, whatever they might be doing that could serve the same purposes.

I've already put a lot of effort into learning to spend time in fellowship and collaboration with some of the people I've seen being stigmatized and marginalized the most, in their comfort zones, for other purposes. Now I'm considering it in the perspective of learning to collaborate on performance initiatives. The first thought that comes to me is to look for performance initiatives of theirs, and/or other initiatives that could possibly serve the same purposes, where they might be willing to include me. Immediately some wide open doors with welcome mats come to mind, that I've been scorning.

No comments: