Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rediscovering Baha'u'llah

Yesterday I thought of some of my favorite prayers that seem related to my feelings about rediscovering Baha'u'llah. One is the one that begins "O God! Guide me . . ." Another is "O God! Refresh and gladden my spirit . . ." Another is "Make firm our steps in Thy Path, O Lord . . ."

Today I was thinking that my project of practicing and promoting what the House of Justice has written about the study of the Baha'i Faith might help me in rediscovering Baha'u'llah. More about that later.

I started posting in my "Deeds, Not Words" blog about searching for passages in the writings of Baha'u'llah addressed to the "people of Baha," to study and practice them. I've decided to move that discussion here.

I've started my search in The Summons of the Lord of Hosts because I've been wanting to read that.

"O people of Baha! Subdue the citadels of men's hearts with the swords of wisdom and of utterance."

(Baha'u'llah, The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 78)

In the other blog I posted some of the context of that passage. I won't re-post all that here. It's from a letter to Napoleon. Among other things, Baha'u'llah says to Napoleon: "Adorn the body of Thy kingdom with the raiment of My name, and arise, then, to teach My Cause." Then he says some things that seem to be addressed to all people, along with some things addressed specifically to the people of Baha. After that he addresses the priests and monks.

After I read the whole letter, I'd like to consider this section addressed to the people, one sentence at a time, and look for ways to improve my practice of what Baha'u'llah is saying.

I'm sitting here wonder how I might do that. What can I do, for example, to improve my practice of "O people of Baha! Subdue the citadels of men's hearts with the swords of wisdom and of utterance."? I just remembered that I can always practice in make believe if I don't find any other way. I can try to think of examples of subduing the citadels of men's hearts with the swords of wisdom and of utterance, and act them out.

No comments: