Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jim's Baha'i studies project: framework

Contents:
1. What it's about
2. Some of my current ideas about Baha'i training

1. What it's about

I was thinking that some friends of mine might do more good with the writings of Baha'u'llah if they had a better vision of possibilities, and if they were less distracted by Baha'i feuding. That led to the idea of helping to transmit encouragement, support and learning through walls of prejudice and over gulfs of estrangement. That led to the idea of reading and commenting thoughtfully and sympathetically on people's writings.

I think it might help me to be looking for ideas to improve Baha'i training. I haven't considered how any of this might actually be incorporated into Baha'i training. Some possibilities do come to mind, but the value of this for me doesn't depend on that.

I might also look for ideas about how to improve the framework of this project.

2. Some of my current ideas about Baha'i training

It might help me to set this in a context of learning and teaching resources in general, for Baha'u'llah's purposes. Examples of resources might include models, study materials, workshops, classes, mentoring, divine institutions, prayer and other spiritual practices, consultation, encouragement skills, fellowship, Neuro-Linguistic Programming, spiritual qualities and Neo-Pagan concepts and practices.

I might generalize what I'm looking for in my reading to any ideas that might help improve any kind of learning and teaching resource for Baha'u'llah's purposes.

Considering the content and methods of training, my thoughts have mostly revolved around mentoring, Baha'i training institutes, and the Ruhi courses as a starting point for widespread training for general purposes. I'm imagining an evolution in mentoring, in the Ruhi courses, and in other training programs which will respond to all of the current possibilities for serving Baha'u'llah's purposes; and to the whole range of interests, concerns and capacities of all the people who are trying to serve them.

Examples of evolution might include improvement in concepts, in ways of developing skills, and in ways of developing our relationships with Baha'u'llah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,

The feuding has pretty much subsided hasn't it? Maybe it's just me, but I'm hard-pressed to think of any current online venue where the Baha'i wars are still continuing.

Baha'i Rants perhaps? No, wait, those are ex-Baha'is who are feuding over same-sex marriage. :-)

Jim Habegger said...

Steve, thanks for asking that question.

"Feuding" might be the wrong word for what I'm seeing now. I still see some adversarial impulses clouding some people's vision and continually diverting them from doing their best work.

Anyway, whatever we may call it, I still see thick walls of prejudice and wide gulfs of estrangement that get in the way of people encouraging and supporting each other, and learning from each other. That's what this project is about.

I still see some people continually finding fault with some other people, and never finding anything good to say about them. That's what I meant by feuding. That might be disabling them and interfering with their progress.