Monday, May 19, 2008

Cordiality

In a post about Forgiveness, fellowship and justice, Alison wrote:

"Mutual forgiveness may not lead to warm relations, but it should lead to cordial relations, which is the basis of what's required of us by Baha'u'llah."

I was wondering where she might have seen Baha'u'llah saying that cordiality is the basis of what He requires of us. I see him saying that nothing less than fellowship will satisfy Him. To get some ideas about what to look for in the writings of Baha'u'llah that might correspond to "cordial relations," I looked up "cordial" in the Merriam-Webster online dictionary. One of the definitions is:

3 b: warmly and genially affable

"Cordial relations" is given as an example.

I looked up "affable."

1 : being pleasant and at ease in talking to others
2 : characterized by ease and friendliness

I found this in the list of synonyms:

"Affable implies easy approachability and readiness to respond pleasantly to conversation or requests or proposals."

Imagining that felt so good I had tears in my eyes. It's happening again now, as I write. I even felt a little sob welling up inside of me. "Easy approachability and readiness to respond pleasantly to conversation or requests or proposals." How nice. How pleasant. How much I would love to spend time with someone who's being affable.

I haven't started searching for writings about that, but surely it would please God for us all to be affable with each other. It would be a wonderful place to start. Fellowship may be the supreme goal, the monarch of aspirations, and maybe nothing less than that will satisfy God, but that may take some time.

"You can't hurry love. No, you just have to wait. You got to trust, give it time, no matter how long it takes."
(The Supremes)

That could take some time, and getting to know each other better. Meanwhile, cordial relationships sounds like a wonderful place to start. Tears in my eyes again. With some patience and perseverance, you can be cordial with anyone, even someone you've never met before. Even someone who is thirsting for your blood. Even an evildoer who wishes you ill.

No comments: