Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Cruelty, estrangement and groups

I'm still looking for a better explanation of why I've worried so much about what George has been doing. I don't worry any more about what Susan does. Is it because I'm imagining that what George does is more visible?

I kept thinking that even if I found ways to counteract the harmful effects of George's campaign, that wouldn't resolve the underlying problems. What problems? The feuding? No, deeper than that. Estrangement between Baha'is?

Maybe it's about people allowing themselves to be estranged from other people?

In a comment to my previous post, Steve wrote:

"What matters is the individual."

Yes. It's about individuals, not groups. The harmful behavior, and the relationships between groups, are separate issues. People need to learn not to behave that way, regardless of circumstances.

That will take some time. Meanwhile, reducing estrangement might help reduce cruelty.

No comments: