Thursday, January 8, 2009

It might be better to practice and promote serving the interests of my House of Justice

I say "my" House of Justice because it looks to me like what I call the House of Justice is different in practical and consequential ways from what other people call the House of Justice, especially my friends that I'm writing for here, and their detractors.

My House of Justice is not clearly defined. What is clearly defined for me is its interests. Its interests are the ones that are explicitly stated in messages which I imagine have been distributed as messages from the Universal House of Justice, with the approval of the Universal House of Justice seated on Mount Carmel. Examples would be messages on the Web site of a national spiritual assembly, and messages included in the Ocean software library. The interests of my House of Justice and the interests of its members are sharply distinguished in my mind, and can even be diametrically opposed. I try to avoid speculating about any interests other than those explicitly stated.

One way that I practice serving its interests is by studying its messages with these questions in mind:
- What can I learn from this?
- What can I do about it?

I spend more time on parts that look wrong to me, trying to find some honest and fair way to agree with them, and practice and promote them.

As I said, I won't be trying to substantiate these ideas. I'll be trying to explain them.

No comments: